The true size of Africa

Source Initially I wanted to write this article based on ten things I love about Africa. But in all honesty I had trouble coming up w...

Source


Initially I wanted to write this article based on ten things I love about Africa. But in all honesty I had trouble coming up with even five. Not because there aren’t that many positive things to write about the motherland, but more because I have been distant from it for so many years that I have only experienced african culture second hand through my parents and the media. 
So instead I will briefly address one subject that will hopefully shed light on something new:
Africa is big. Like, REALLY big.

 
Source
Do you see the image above? THAT is a more accurate representation of the African continent. THAT is how the world map in your Atlas and textbooks should look like. And THAT is what is meant by the devaluation of a great continent. The reason I write „more accurate“ is because the scales of our countries and continents have never been concisely defined. For centuries now map projections have been distorted, which might not have been a major problem for sailors in the olden days, but I believe by now we should have caught up and corrected these mistakes. Read more about the concept of „immappancy“ by clicking on the link!

But this isn’t even new information. According to my research the „true size“ of Africa has been found out years ago. Various online news outlets and blogs have been writing about this „new discovery“ but why hasn’t anything changed? When scientists discovered that Pluto shouldn’t be classified as a planet anymore the world was in an uproar, but when we find out the african continent should be represented at a much larger scale we hear nothing but whispers.

I could speculate on why this hasn’t become a bigger issue and why there seems to be no action taken to change this error, but I will leave that for a heated discussion with my friends. 



You Might Also Like

0 comments

IG Snaps

MY LIFE IN PICTURES

bb