Coming Back to America…or in this case Austria

As a child I used to be afraid of expressing my African roots towards my friends, seeing as how the majority of them were either ...



As a child I used to be afraid of expressing my African roots towards my friends, seeing as how the majority of them were either Austrian or of another European ethnicity. What can I say? I was young and had a low self-esteem.

Unfortunately I was not raised in my birth country, therefor I feel a bit disconnected to “my people”. 
Apart from my parent’s African upbringing I have been completely Europeanized. 
I eat fufu with a spoon, I think that says it all.

But over the recent years I have learned to embrace my, dare I say, heritage, more and more, 

Here's a list of a few of my (current) favorite internet findings of strong Africans representing their culture with what gives them joy in life, be it through dance and music, fashion, food or literature.




• If you also live in Vienna (hi!) stopping by at the African shop MANDE-MASA is a must •
You can expect quality fashion as well as wonderful hairstyles.


• Two of my favourite designers who named their brand after their father: William Okpo 
 There is so much creativity and originality in their designs, it’s amazing!


• And for all you naturalistas: ROGH • 
There are so many wonderful natural YouTubers out there, but in most cases their products aren't available to some of their oversea fans. For my German/Austrian peeps, this girl can hook you up.


• Although I’m not Nigerian I do enjoy listening to some tribal languages •
My girl Asa’s (pronounced Asha) joyful beats are sung in both her native tongue as well as in English. I recommend “Why can’t we”


• These gorgeous sisters have chartered a music career under the joined name VanJess 
  Not only are they talented vocalists, but they also have a heck of a fashion sense. J’adour them.


• And last but not least a woman who has garnered my attention through a very motivational TED talk: • 
Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie.
Her words have truly inspired me to celebrate myself, as an African and as a young growing woman. 





Would you like to share some of your favorite internet personalities and websites?
Leave a comment below!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

IG Snaps

MY LIFE IN PICTURES

bb